Thursday, 21 April 2011

R.I.P. Elisabeth Sladen


I'm re-posting this piece, slightly amended, originally a response to Tony Lee's moving article about Elisabeth Sladen. This time with some of the images from the annual. You can read Tony's article here. http://www.tonylee.co.uk/

Sarah Jane was ‘the’ companion when I was growing up. When I had the chance to write and illustrate a story for the Doctor Who annual, the first thing I did was start looking for photo-reference of Sarah Jane, even before I had a story in mind. I went to an old scrap book I had and found my clippings of Elisabeth Sladen from old issues of the Radio Times collected way back in my childhood. Photo’s I’d drawn countless times as a kid, I’d get pocket money off other kids at school in return for my portraits of their and my idol Sarah Jane. I had a serious shiver run down my spine as I drew her again for the Annual, knowing I’d be spreading her image again, but this time a bit further than the school yard. That was to be my last work on the Doctor Who series, but, I hope a fitting tribute, and a dream come true. R.I.P Liz, Sarah Jane lives on.

No comments: